2011-03-01

Corn Upma ( Khichu )

2 comments
Well after much thought I've decided to write a blog about all my cooking experiences , I'm sure it would be fun and learning experience in itself.
This is my first post for Simmer and Spice :).Hope you all like it and try it yourself.

I  recently bought corns and wanted to make something nice , I remembered the corn upma which my mom makes for us, so I thought of giving it a try.


 2 large Corns. 


Shred it and keep it aside.

In a pan add oil , once warm add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, green chili and curry leaves , saute it for about 2 mins.
Add corn to this , mix it well and let it cook for about 2 mins.

Add water and milk mixture along with turmeric powder, mix it well and cook for about 10-15 mins on a low flame.


Add red chili powder to this , mix it well.

Add lime to this , garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot. ( I didn't had coriander leaves at this time so couldn't add it)


Recipe Details :-
Ingredients :-
  1. 2 large corn (makai ke dane) shredded it finely.
  2. 1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rye / sarson)
  3. 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
  4. few curry leaves (kadi patta)
  5. 2 to 3 green chillies, finely chopped
  6. Freshly cut coriander
  7. 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
  8. 1/4 tsp of red chili powder
  9. Salt as per the taste
  10. 1 tsp sugar
  11. 1 tbsp oil
  12. 1/2 cup of milk
  13. 1/2 cup water
  14. 1 tbsp lime juice
  15. 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro/ coriander leaves
Method :-
1. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, jeera, curry leaves and green chillies to it 
    and saute.
2. Add the finely shredded corn to it.Mix it well.Cook it for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add water and milk and mix it well, add it to the corn mixture with turmeric  
    powder allow it to cook for 10 to 15 mins  on a low flame.Keep on stirring it  
    in between.
4. Add red chili powder, Garnish it with coriander leaves.
5. Serve hot with a dash of lime.

2 comments:

ankur said...

Dear Friend,

Made this evening snack. I am a big lover of corns, being it in any form. Very simple and delicious upma. but I dint understand the purpose of sugar in it, as corn basically has natural sweetness.

Anyways love it.
Cya

Ankur

Unknown said...

Hi Ankur,

I'm glad your tried this,I Added little sugar just to make it more sweet, but it can be optional.

Post a Comment

Hi!! :)
don't be a silent reader, leave your feedback here, we would love to hear from you and thanks
for visiting.

If you want to write to us personally you can mail us at thevincarosa@gmail.com

 
To The Herbs © 2011