2011-10-04

Delicious Sabudana Khichdi (Sago flavoured with chilli-peanut powder)

2 comments

The first time ever that I made Sabudana Khichdi, Today was 8th day of Navratri so me and my husband have both kept fast,I did get sabudana on Sunday but had never made it so was undecided whether I should try it or not , today morning when I was on call with mom she gave me sabudana recipe which I found very simple to make and luckily I had all ingredients to make it.I remember as a child I  never used to like it but today when I made it myself I found it so delectable So I'm sure to make it again :) Sabudana Khichdi is a pretty tricky proposition It matters how you soak the sabudana and one should not soak for too long, or in too much water that all you get is starchy mush, or on the other hand, a little less water and it would roll off like balls of mercury away from  your palm.Here I am posting my tried and tested method of making this amazing khichdi.
Ingredients:-
  1. 2 cups of Sabudana.
  2. 4-5 tbsp of raw peanut powder
  3. 4-5 Green chili finely chopped
  4. 2 Medium potatoes cut into big pieces
  5. 1 tbsp cumin seeds
  6. 7-8 Curry Leaves
  7. 1/2 tbsp of sugar
  8. 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
  9. 2 tbsp of lime juice
  10. 1 tbsp of red chili powder
  11. 1 tbsp of oil
  12. Salt to taste.
Method :-
  1. Toss the sabudana into a big bowl and wash it under the tap. Allow it to drain 
  2. Keep it this way for 2 hours at least covered with a lid, after an hour  just toss it but don't touch it with your hands or spoon
  3. Just before cooking add 1 1/2 spoons of salt to the sabudana as it soaks up the salt really well.
  4. Boil the potatoes and cut it into large pieces or just coarsely mash with your hands into big pieces.
  5. Take a Pan, add oil to it, once heated add cumin seeds, green chili and curry leaves, let it cook for a while.
  6. Add groundnut powder to this mixture and keep the flame very low and keep on stirring it for about 2 minutes.
  7. Add boiled potatoes to this mixture mix it well and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
  8. Now add soaked sabudana to this , mix it lightly, add red chili powder and sugar to this mixture.
  9. Cook it on a low flame by covering it with a lid and constant stirring for about 20 minutes.
  10. Garnish it with a dash of lime and finely chopped coriander leaves.
  11. Serve hot with curd by its side.


2 comments:

Bhargavi said...

I love sabudana in any form.. will definitely try this recipe out..

Unknown said...

Hi Bhargavi,Thanks for visiting my blog :), do try it out and let me know how it came.

Post a Comment

Hi!! :)
don't be a silent reader, leave your feedback here, we would love to hear from you and thanks
for visiting.

If you want to write to us personally you can mail us at thevincarosa@gmail.com

 
To The Herbs © 2011